CINEMA PLANETA, 10 ENVIRONMENTAL INTERNATIONAL
FILM FESTIVAL OF MeXICO.
OPEN SUBMISSIONS 2018
Cinema Planeta organizes Mexico’s premier environmental film festival to promote the protection of our natural environment. Every year since 2009, Cinema Planeta presents dozens of films that address interconnected social, environmental, economic, and cultural topics. The film festival now goes beyond just the cinema, offering the audience participative experiences through movie clubs, discussions with directors, conferences, workshops, art exhibits, public open-air movie showings, concerts, and science and technology fairs. Cinema Planeta’s national and international tours help to educate diverse audiences about relevant environmental themes and promote the Mexican cinema.Cinema Planeta is an award-winning not-for-profit organization that was presented with the 2010 National Award for Environmental Conservation by the National Commission for Protected Natural Areas (CONANP) in Mexico and the Ecology and Environmental Award from the Miguel Aleman A.C. Foundation in 2017.
Awards & Prizes:
International Feature Documentary
Cinema Planeta awards this prize annually to the best international film production dealing with environmental issues . It is a recognition that seeks to raise awareness for our blue planet, through the best of world cinema. Productions 2016 – 2018 will be accepted in this competition.
Mexican Feature Documentary
On the occasion of the festivities for the 10 years of Cinema Planeta, we opened a new competitive category that will seek to reward the best of the mexican environmental documentary. This award seeks to recognize works of mexican directors or mexican productions in these issues of fundamental importance and that deserve greater diffusion and space. Films from 2016 – 2018 will be accepted in this call and should address the issue of the environment in a broad sense, including the relationship of the human being with his environment.
Rules & Terms
- For the official selection feature documentary films, production 2016-2018 concerning a wide range of environmental topics will be considered.
- All films should not have been commercially exhibited in Mexico before.
- The deadline to receive material for the competition selection is Thursday, November 30th, 2017.
- All material must be presented in its original version, with subtitles in Spanish or English.
- The final display formats are: DCP*, BluRay, QT H.264 or Apple ProRes. Any other format will need a special authorization.*If it is a DCP format, you would also need to send a BluRay for display in rooms that do not have DCP compliant equipment.
- The Festival will use film stills and short clips from the movies for promotion.
- The selected films will compete for the following awards:
-JURY PRIZE FOR BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM (50,000 Mexican Pesos).
-YOUTH JURY AWARD.
-JURY PRIZE FOR BEST MEXICAN FILM (50,000 Mexican Pesos).
- The decision of the Jury board is indisputable.
- Cinema Planeta will not pay any fee for the exhibition of the Official Selection in Competition films.
- In order to disseminate and raise awareness about environmental issues , Cinema Planeta performs screenings for cultural and educational purposes for schools, universities, festivals, institutions, cultural centers and non-governmental organizations in Mexico and in member countries of our network. The selected films will be chosen to be part of a traveling festival in the course of 2018 and early 2019. The organizers of Cinema Planeta will communicate in advance to directors and/or producers and distributors the dates and places of each projection. They will also be considered for inclusion in educational programs for the POP Movement (Protect Our Planet) in Mexico that seeks to inspire young people to collaborate with local solutions to global warming. All screenings during this traveling festival and POP programs will be free of charge to the public.
- The selected films will be notified by Cinema Planeta´s Programming Department on Friday, January 19th 2018.
- If pending, all the materials and information requested during the submission process should be submitted by Wednesday, January 31st, 2018 for selected films. Films with incomplete information and materials will be disqualified.
- Registration must be done through the platform https://filmfreeway.com/festival/CinemaPlaneta
- The cost of registration will be: 14USD for international feature films; 10USD for Mexican feature films, 5USD for international short films and 3USD for Mexican short films.
- Short films will be accepted in both categories with a duration of less than 45 minutes although they will not participate in the prizes, they will be susceptible to be selected within the program of the festival in the edition 2018.
For more information or questions: